A+ R A-

FIFA issues Egypt October 28 deadline over security concerns‏

Share


FIFA has given the Egyptian Football Association an October 28 deadline to provide a comprehensive security assurances ahead of the second-leg of the 2014 World Cup playoff.

Football’s world governing body says it would consider switching the venue for the 19 November match scheduled for Cairo if it is not satisfied with security plans by the Egyptian government for the Black Stars and other FIFA match officials for the game.

The world governing body says while it is monitoring the security situation in Cairo and other hotspots in the country, the Egyptian FA must consider alternative venues if the security plans for the match is unsatisfactory.

“With regards to the recent security situation prevailing in Cairo and in some different spots in Egypt, and in order to ensure that all the parties concerned can organize their matches and play them in a totally safe and secure environment we would like to ask the Egyptian Football Association to coordinate with the national authorities by MONDAY 28th OCTOBER AT THE LATEST, the written security guarantees as well as the global security plan around this match in compliance with the FIFA Stadium, Safety and Security Regulations as of the arrival of the delegations (visiting team and FIFA Match Officials) up to their departure with all the necessary precisions regarding their stay and protection in Cairo,” FIFA wrote in a letter sent to the Egyptian Football Association and the Ghana Football Association on Friday.

 

“Although all our hopes and wishes sincerely expect that the security situation will go back to normal in a definite manner we would need to consider alternatives in the event that this were not the case in November.

“We will this keep monitoring the situation as possibly revert to you with additional request/enquiries in due course,” the letter signed by the FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke read.

This follows a protest the Ghana Football Association sent to the world governing body this week over the safety and security of the Black Stars for the proposed venue for the second leg of the final qualifier.

 

Egypt had proposed to host the second-leg match in Cairo scheduled for 19 November before fans even though they played all their group World Cup qualifiers behind closed doors when the violence in Egypt was minimal.

But the upsurge of violence between protesters and security forces, which had led to the deaths of many since last week, prompted the GFA to lodge a complaint with FIFA over the safety of their delegation for the second-leg match.

 

 

Source: Ghanafa.org

International Other Sports